Sunday 19 February 2017

Humble Hummus

Happy Sunday afternoon my fellow readers! I know my blog has been neglected for the past few months and I apologies for that. I have found myself caught up in life and (I will admit) pure laziness! I still find myself in the kitchen creating dishes, but finding it hard to sit down in front of my laptop to write up my recipes. I have been trying to make my own snacks as of late. Why? As we live in such a fast paced world we find ourselves snacking more and more. Making your own yummy snacks is a great way in knowing what you are putting in your body.



Hummus is primarily based of chickpeas, a legume that is both a vegetable and protein source. A great alternative for non meat eaters or those wanting to reduce their meat intake. Also, super cost efficient, on average a 400g tin costs 50p. Chickpeas are high in fiber, folate rich, a source of iron and contain more protein than eggs.
As winter is soon coming to an end (finally!) we want to make ourselves feel good so we can spring into action. Hummus is your 'go to' snack, as eating hummus with vegetables containing vitamin C such as red peppers will help boost your iron levels.

So here is a quick recipe for hummus, a great healthy snack that can be whizzed up in no time!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tin drained chickpeas
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice- or more to taste
  • 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
  • 1 tbsp tahini paste
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • Sprinkle of cayenne- optional but I like the kick
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • Water- to loosen if required

Method: Whiz up in a food processor until it reaches the desired consistency. Personally I like it quite coarse in texture. Spoon into an air tight container/jar and store in fridge for up to 5 days.

Note: This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled...

To get all the essential amino acids serve with whole wheat pitta breads and a selection of veggies- great way to get in those 'five a day'.

-CookmansCreations

No comments:

Post a Comment